Chapter 16: Put on a Show

"Caitlin, there is a call on line one for you," my secretary calls out from the front desk, into my office on the other side of the hall.

"Thanks, Mary. Hello?" I say answering the phone.

"Hey Cait, it's Beth," a woman's voice sounds at the other end.

"Hey, what's up? How's Zach and the baby?" I ask. Beth is one of my closest friends. I met her and her sister, Anna, when my family moved next to them when I was six. We became fast friends and were always like sisters. She's a year younger than me, but already she has been married to husband, Zach, for two years and is now 4 months pregnant (something my mother keeps bringing up). She works at The Children's hospital as a nurse and also directs the activities in the hospital. She had always been awesome with kids, they always seemed to naturally gravitate toward her, much how dogs are with me.

"Zach is good, and I have a sonogram next week. But anyways, I know it's short notice, but I was wondering if you could come in tomorrow and put on a little show for us with your kids," she asked hopefully.

She always referred to my dogs as my kids. I had put on a show for them once last year and the kids loved it. It gives each dog a chance to show off their talents and the kids love getting to pet them. Koda would entertain them with his tricks and loved getting them to rub his tummy. Flash would do some flyball and a Frisbee routine, Hawkeye would do an obedience show, Bran would handle the agility, and then all three dogs would show the kids how they could find people, which was always the most fun. Usually they got doctors and nurses to hide, and sometimes a kid, if they were well enough, and then the the search team would set out looking for them. And of course Maggie loved to watch too as the kids petted her. It was always a blast!

"Of course! We always have so much fun when we were down there," I respond with a grin.

"Great. We've got some other people coming in too, but they can just watch too right?" she asks.

"Sure, the more the merrier," I say thinking she's talking about family members, "Is it okay if we come by today, drop off some of the stuff, and do a little practicing."

"Sure, I'll be hear until 4."

"Alright, well we'll be over as soon as we gather the stuff up."

"Okay, see ya later."

"Bye, Beth." I say hanging up the phone. I make a list of what I need to bring and then head out of the office followed by my dogs. I have a big office cause all the dogs come with me to work, usually, and then help when they're needed.

"Hey, Mary, I don't have anymore sessions today do I?" I ask my secretary.

"No, but you have at one 10:30 tomorrow,"she says looking at the schedule book.

"Perfect. Okay if any one calls don't take anymore appointments for tomorrow. I'm going to Children's hospital to do a show."

"Awww... they loved that last time. And then they sent that big thank you card, it was adorable."

"I know I love going there to do shows. Well I'd better get the stuff gathered up and take it over, I guess we're done for the day, so you can leave if you want to."

I love being my own boss.

"Sweetness. I think I'll go check out the sales going on at the mall," the pretty blond said grabbing her purse.

"Alright have fun. I'll see you tomorrow morning.?"

"See you in the morning!" she responds, picking up her purse and leaving.

I grab some of the bigger stuff, like the jumps and tunnels, and truck it all down to the hospital. I then come back up and get the dogs. Luckily the hospital's only about 30 minutes away. I pull the car into the parking space and let the dogs out of the car. Together we walk up the stairs and into the wing Beth works at.

I immediately spot her in her scrubs writing some thing down, she looks over and spots me.

"There is my best guy in the whole world," she coos in a baby voice.

She runs over to Koda who immediately lays on his back so she can pet his tummy. Koda loves seeing her, they have a special little bond because Beth and Anna are the ones who got Koda for me.

"Yeah Beth it's good to see you too," I grin.

"Sorry, you know I had to say hi to my boy."

"yeah, I know. So where are we going to do this?" I ask.

She leads me to a large area and gives me some help setting everything up. I run the dogs through a couple practices so they become familiar with the format of everything. It's going on 4:30 and I decide to leave.We make our way through the hall and come across Beth all bundled up in her winter coat getting ready to leave.

"Hey I thought you left at 4."

"I usually do, but we had to get set up for tomorrow."

"I see, when did you want me here tomorrow?" I ask.

"Umm... I guess around 2:30, cause the players said that they wanted to watch too."

"Players?" I ask.

"Yeah, didn't I tell you? The Pittsburgh Penguins are coming to see the kids like they do every year," she says grinning. I stop as if I've been knocked over. I immediately feel myself pale.

"The Pens?" I ask quietly.

"Ha, yeah, they're great guys, I knew you would love it!" she says totally oblivious to the fact that I am about to have a melt down.

My brain is spinning, if the Pens are coming that means Sidney will be there. Oh boy, that might not go over so well.

"Are you okay?"Beth asks bringing me back to earth.

"Uh, yeah. I guess, I'm just still a little tired from moving yesterday." I say. I never told anyone what really happened on my vacation four years ago.

"Alright, well I guess I'll see you tomorrow," she says hopping into her car.

"Yeah, see ya," I say.

The d0gs and I head over to my car and I do a quick head count before driving off, not allowing myself to think about tomorrow until I get home.

I get home and immediately go inside to think.

'well maybe he won't recognize me or remember me, I mean after all it has been 4 years.' And then I remember that there are four other guys who were at that beach and may remember me. No five, I said forgetting that Colby came back this season. I knew I couldn't back out of it now, I was all set up and everything. Plus I would feel immensely guilty at letting the kids down.

"Well, girl your just going to have to stand strong, and hope they don't figure out its you," I say aloud.



I wake up at 7:30 the next morning in a furry pile. I don't use an alarm clock anymore, after getting at the same time almost everyday for the past 5 years, I usually am up to let the dogs out. And even I wanted to sleep longer, Flash would let me know that it was time to get up.

"Alright guys lets get up," I sigh.

Koda gets off my legs, and Maggie gets her head off my stomach allowing me to get up. I put on my warm running clothes and head out the door with Bran, Flash, and Hawkeye by my side. We always go for a jog first thing every other morning to keep us in shape for search and rescue. After jogging for about half an hour we head back to the house and pick up Maggie and Koda to go for our daily hour long walk.

After walking them I eat a quick breakfast, feed them, and jump in the shower. I put on a pair of jeans and a t shirt and I head with Bran to work.

I get home at 12:30.

'I need a hot shower,' I think to myself, both to calm some nerves and ease the tension of the day. It's never easy trying to correct behavior in a 6 year old dog, especially a German Shepard that wants to attack your face every time you get near it. The dog did try to go at me once, but changed it's course of action when Bran stepped between me and the dog. I spent an hour and a half with that dog, but I finally managed to get it to sit on the first command. I thought it wasn't too bad for a first session, but the owners were thrilled that they could finally make their dog sit.

I get out of the shower, I feel like I need to look incredible good for Sidney, just to show him that I am doing well without him. But I know high heels and a skirt is not an option. I settle for a nice pair of jeans with a simple cotton white blouse layered on top of a green tank top. I put a hair tie around my wrist so that I can pull my hair out of my face when I do the agility with Bran. I grab my big bag of dog treats, slip on my Nike's and I'm out the door. It's only 1:00, but the dogs and I will practice once more before starting.

"Alright everybody in," I say opening the hatch on the back. I have all the seats down so they fit in the back. I close it once they're all in and open the passenger door for Bran to sit next to me. I hop in and we're off.

We arrive at he hospital at 1:30 and I go straight to Beth's wing to tell her I'm here.

"They're is my best boy," she says coming over to greet Koda as always.

"Caitlin what are you doing here so early?' 'Well Beth, I wanted to run over the course one more time.' ' oh that sounds great, your the best Caitlin,'" I say playing out how our welcome would go if Koda wasn't there.

"Very funny!" she smirks, " well the players just went into the playroom down the hall, so it will be at least another hour. I'll give you a 5 minute heads up before we bring everyone in."

"Sounds great, I can't wait," I say, even though I'm dreading to see whether or not Sid remembers me, "We'll show ourselves down, I know you're pretty busy."

"Alright see you in a little while," she says walking down the hall.

I go and set up the place making sure all the jumps are the right height and then we run through the course. Just as Bran completes the last jump, Beth comes into tell me everyone's on their way down. I line all my dogs up next to me and wait.

In a matter of minutes, but it seems like hours, kids start filing in. The first player I see is George Laraque who is holding some little girl's hand, I just can't help but chuckle at the big tough hockey player being lead around by a little girl. Soon enough all the kids get settled in and more hockey players start coming in. I wait, the suspense is killing me. Then I see him, he's walking with Jordan and Colby, laughing at something Colby says. Jordan is the first to see me and my fears are confirmed. He looks at me quickly doing a double take and stops dead in his tracks, his mouth hanging open in surprise. I smile at him, and he puts a hand out to stop Sidney from going any further. Sidney looks at him with a confused expression and Colby, immediately sees me and a stunned expression, similar to Jordan's comes on his face. I smile and look down at my dogs who are all staring at me patiently, waiting for me to give the cue.

"Not yet, now we're going to be good and have fun right?" I say quietly getting a response of tail wags. I look back up and immediately my eyes connect with Sidney's. Even from the distance his hazel eyes burn into mine and I try to read his expression but it's blank and shielded from me. Suddenly Beth speaks bringing me back to reality,

"Alright everyone, we have another special guest today. This is one of my best friends. Her name is Caitlin and her job is to train dogs. So how about we all say hi to Caitlin."

" Hi Caitlin!" all the kids say at once. Many of the players are settling on the floor, I quickly look at Sidney who has a little boy in his lap.

"Hi guys. Thanks for having me today. Like Nurse Beth said I'm a dog trainer. I teach people's dogs tricks and how to behave. Before we put on our show for you, I'm going introduce these dogs," I say pointing to my side.

I see a young boys hand go up and he says, "Are those all your dogs?"

"Yeah, these are all my dogs." I smile back.

I begin to introduce all the dogs and tell a little story about each, until I finally come to Maggie.

"And finally last, but not least, this is Maggie. Maggie is a retired racing greyhound that I rescued. She is 2 years old and when she was younger she used to race against other dogs, for her owner. But then she hurt her leg and couldn't run for a while, her owner didn't want her, so I adopted her. We made her all better and now she loves to run and play with my other dogs. But do you know what Maggie's favorite thing to do is?" I ask leaving Bran's side and walking into the crowd until I come across Jordan who has a little girl in pick pajamas sitting on his lap.

"She loves to put her head on you lap and let you pet her. What's your name?" I ask the little girl softly.

"Kelly." she responds quietly.

"Would you like to watch the show with Maggie, Kelly. She likes to have someone to watch with."

Immediately she grins and nods her head wildly.

"Alright Maggs," I say giving the cue for Maggie to get up and come over to me. She sits next to me and wags her tail, looking up at me and waiting for a command.

"Now, Maggie. Kelly said that she will watch the show with you, is that okay?" I nod my head which is the cue for her to nod her's.

"Okay Maggie," I point to Kelly. "You stay." Maggie wags her tail and lays down next to Jordan who is grinning and puts her head on his lap so Kelly can pet her.

"Alright, first we're going to show you how Koda does tricks."

I go through Koda's act and allow him to lay by a bunch of kids who immediately go over to pet his tummy. After going through everyone's act I turn back to the crowd.

"Alright, did you guys like that?" I ask.

"YES!"I hear kids and players say.

"Great! Well we have one more thing to show you. See sometimes somethings happen and people get lost. Dogs have super noses and they can smell a hundred times better than we can, so sometimes we have them help find the people. Now that's what Bran, Hawkeye, and Flash are trained to do. Sometimes we get a call and we have to go find lost people. So if it's okay with them we're going to show you how they find people. Is it okay boys?"

I move my hands like a mouth by my side, giving them the command to speak. Of course they all obey and bark.

"Alright, I need three people to help me." I pick a doctor and Max Talbot joins in. I need one more person.

"I think the Captain should do it," Ryan Whitney grins, I figure he doesn't know about us, based on the look on Flower's face.

"Yeah, go on Sid," Ruutu calls.

"Go on Sid, they won't hurt you," Ryan Malone says getting him up and pushing him infront of me. He looks at me, our eyes connecting for a brief moment before he walks behind me.

"She has before," he says under his breath so only I can hear. I whip my head around in surprise. 'did he really just say I hurt him? I thought he hated me?!'

August 06, 2008 at Wednesday, August 06, 2008

4 Comments to "Chapter 16: Put on a Show"

whoa....love the dogs!! :)

hey the story is great,
jw wondering if u wanted to check out my story

melbellaxoxo.blogspot.com

thnx
and update soon i luv the story

Posted by Anonymous ( August 13, 2008 at 8:53 AM )

I am liking your story a lot...keep updating, please!

OMG!! update soon!!! i love this!

Post a Comment

So... what did you think?

 
Creative Commons License
Discovering...Love? by AS is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.